Today, I Was Strongly Advised
I have been avoiding the "college advising" trap for nearly two years now. Classes, scheduling? Eventual ownership of a valid bachelors degree (nevermind anything else)? Certainly. I know just what the fuck I'm doing. I can click on things, can't I? And its the sheer ambiguity of the college system that makes it interesting! Take advice? I don't like advice. I can handle this. Fuck off.
Attending CU, I was "strongly encouraged" to make an appointment with an advisor. They even made one for me, which I did not attend. I signed up for classes, and then I took them. Simple as that. Every once in a while I would glance at my degree requirments and begin to feel a little nauseated, but what the hell. That was mostly just the beer. I was in charge.
Then when I transferred to PSU, I felt sure that I was in the clear about advising. No way was anyone at good ol' Portland state going to try to force me to accept help. They don't do that at PSU. Help, I mean. Which is great, because I don't want any. Help. HELP!
And then I decided to enter the pre-nursing program, and was suddenly confronted with a real live application process to a real live degree program. And I was like, shit. And the nausea came rushing back. There are a million little quirks in the prerequisites for nursing programs, and the programs themselves are extremely competitive. No leeway for my "trial and...eh, fuckit" method. So today, much to my chargin, I spoke to an...*sigh* advisor.
She was very nice. She pointed out to me that I have taken what is essentially the same class about three times now. I did not feel comfortable telling her that I was planning to take it again in the fall. Haha.
2 comments:
this is the best blog update i've read from anyone in a long time. honestly. estella would be proud.
i think it is a damn shame that the only school that doesn't mandate a core cirriculum is in fucking rochester. because we all know what a vibrant cultural mecca upstate new york is.
looking foward to coffee tommorow. : )
--andrew
Enjoyed a lot! » » »
Post a Comment