I Know I Know

I haven't updated in a while. And you're all like "HEY!" And I'm sorry that I've been disappointing lately, but not very sorry. You see, I've been busy.

First off, I'm volunteering at the Oregon Humane Society. Which is just the most awesome place, you wouldn't believe it. Sounds depressing, right? Sad little kitties in cold metal cages? KITTY JAIL? Ah, but no. It's like a hotel, there are kitty playrooms with chairs and everything. Their adoption rate is over 80%! That means that as soon as I find a kitty that I'm determined to save (using my nifty volunteer discount) it disappears! GONE HOME! Which is great, because W seriously wasn't going to stand for it.

The E: It's a very nice cat. And you know, if it doesn't get adopted soon...I mean, we have plenty of room...
W: Vita will hate it.
E: She'll get used to it. She's just a cat.
W: She'll hate it. She'll hate us. And she'll be mean.
E: ...
W: And then we'll have two cats, but still really only one nice one. No net-cat gain.
E: But...it's really a sweet cat...
W: Sweetie, I'm sure it is. But Vita will be mad. And, you know, where will it end? I really want to believe you that this is the last cat--
E: --It is!
W: --But I just...don't.

Then I pouted a little. Because he was SO right.

But anyway, my plans for catting up our house have been nicely thwarted. And I really enjoy hanging around the shelter. When I'm not showing cats to prospective adopters, I get to just play with a few. Seeing all the wonderful, affectionate cats that people drop off every day makes me feel a lot better about Dmitri. We really did everything that we could to keep him with us, but he just flat-out hated people. And the litterbox. And W's mom's yard. Ahh...it still makes me sad.

Also, school has started. I'm taking Anatomy & Physiology (awesome, and terrifically hard), the A&P lab (we got a new cadaver this year! well, as new as a dead body can be...), Statistics 243 (NON-business, because I'm pretty sure I'll never need to handle any MONEY in my life...*sigh*) and...yeah, that's it.

WAIT.

I'm also taking Sociology 200. The intro class. Why, you ask? Why is a well-read junior in college taking a goddamn intro soc. class? Because they're making me, that's why. Damn them.

More on that later.

Believe me, this deserves its own post.

We baked a carrot cake for W's mom's birthday on Saturday. We baked a carrot cake for her LAST year, too. I am beginning to get a sense of time's passage in this relationship. On October 7 W and I will have been together for 1 year and 6 months.

W (reading over my shoulder): Holy shit, that's really soon.
W: That's less than a week away.
W: That's over this weekend.
W: Cool, that it's over the weekend.
W: Stop, seriously. You're about to be in trouble.

SHIT. NOW I AM IN TROUBLE.

Okay, I'm back. Mostly out of trouble. He compared me to That E-Naked Alterna-Chick. I had to grovel. Damn you, skinnibitch.

Anyway, I know that a year and six months doesn't seem like much. This may sound a little pathetic, but I still can't believe how happy I am. I am really, ridiculously happy, nearly all the time. I love living with W...hell, everyone would love living with W. That's why he must be carefully guarded. He is a best friend who's great in bed, witty, hilarious, sweet, and frankly doing more than his part to hold down the cat population in our apartment. It's all about keeping Vita happy, really.

She is our alpha.

3 comments:

Andrew Mills said...

That E-Naked Alterna Chick?

Nice.

And congratulations! You've been together almost 3/4 as long as W and TENAC, and you still don't hate each other. There's no way that can't be a good omen.

Alright. Back to work.

All my love.
--Andrew

The Wayward E said...

Oooo I like TENAC much better...it sounds so...industrial?

I called mom today. She doesn't answer the bloody phone anymore! Do you think she's mad that I hung up on her over the weekend? Because that SO wasn't my fault.

Have a good day at work. Wanna get coffee after my lab? I'll be done around 5pm. Text me and let me know.

Anonymous said...

One year and six months is incredible! I'm so happy for both of you. It's awesome that you've been together so long. I agree with Andrew; it's a good omen.