Is This It?

I was fired from my job yesterday. Near as I can tell, my boss walked through the breakroom, saw me with my head down (I had come 20 minutes early for my shift) and decided that he'd had it with me. He sent me home and said they'd "call me when they needed me."

On the one hand, school is about to start and I didn't really need the job. On the other hand, THAT TOTALLY SUCKED? I mean, am I crazy? My plan was to tell you all that the restaurant burned to the ground and I saved an armful of ketchups while fleeing the blaze. But I'm too depressed.

I think they're assholes.

I miss some of the nice customers, the ones who came in every day excited to talk to me. There were a few. I actually liked one of my coworkers. She had more waitressing experience than I did, but I was the one who knew where to find the tartar sauce.

I feel like a failure. How could I have gotten fired from a fucking dive like Tom's? They only change the lettuce once a week! This wasn't a hard job!

I'm extremely confused. I thought I was doing well. My work was by no means perfect, but I was friendly. MUCH friendlier than most of the people working there. I didn't get overwhelmed and cry (like the girl I replaced, whom the same manager tried to intimidate into staying). I brought people their food?

I feel responsible for my apparent failure. They wouldn't really have fired me for nothing?

I'm concerned that I may be a pathetic idiot for not realizing how much I sucked at waitressing (life).

I blame them. Crazy Greek fuckers. That manager is a total sleazeball. He never seemed to like me. He made me uncomfortable.

The day before, my favorite coworker's boyfriend issued a restraining order against her and prevented her from entering their house and getting her stuff. (I know, wtf.) She tried to call in, but Takis told her that she had to come work. She didn't show, and I had to work all by myself. His wife stayed with me to help set people up with menus and stuff. I was alone, we got a little busy, and I forgot to write the drink prices on 3 of my tickets. Not the drinks, just the prices. ALSO, I NEVER DO THIS. She happened to ring them up, and told me twice that I needed to be more careful. The first and only thing that she talked to me about.

It was an accident, I screwed up. All 3 of those tickets were written in the same 30 minute period, when I was really busy. I said "yes ma'am, I'm sorry, it won't happen again." And for the rest of the night it didn't. We slowed down, she left, and I finished my shift and locked up the way I always do.

The next day I came in and was told that there was a new employee, Takis had found someone else to work. Cristina (the coworker) showed up on time for her shift, and they sent her home and told her to come back tomorrow. Then they had me train the new girl. I assumed that they were going to fire Cristina. Which would have been horrible because she's a good waitress, it wasn't her fault (I know though, wtf) about missing the day, she tried to call in, and she really needed the job. The next day I came early--like I always do--said hi to everyone (including Takis wife), went to wait in the breakroom, and then got fired.

Apparently they were replacing me.

I'm going in the get my check on Wednesday.

God, I feel so crappy and unemployed. I'm sorry to whine. I'll find something else, something better. Miss the tips, though. And the self-esteem.

Otherwise, life is great. W set up the library. Now the computer is on the computer desk, the books are on their lovely green shelves (Andrew, W, and I painted them), and we once again have space in our living room. This means that we aren't using our main room as storage for the library furniture. The new couch is comfortable, if not entirely fashionable. Anyway, the cat likes it. (I like it too, it has a matching chair. W and Andrew were skeptical at first, however.) It's so nice to finally have a clean, de-Taylored habitat. It's like we really live here. Actually, it's only mostly clean. "Mostly" because Andrew did the dishes when he came over this morning. Really I begged him not to, but he was like a Mandrew possessed.

W got his guitar repaired and the body tuned up. The tech at Apple music told him his ESP was awesome about 5 times. Very gratifying to have chosen and cared for an instrument that impresses the experts. Now he's playing all the time, learning new Bach and trying to teach me Hendriks riffs. I'm not a terrifically slow learner, either. We put new strings on my guitar, and the sound is much better. I really like that thing. But you wouldn't believe how stretchy those nylon strings are! For the first few days the guitar drifted hopelessly out of tune every 20 minutes. Really, it only sounded right for the first 5. We've tuned it about a million times, and it seems like the strings are finally, maybe, set.

Speaking of which, I'm off to go play for a while. I give it 3 minutes before I get frustrated and turn on "BlindDate." Who'll bet me 4?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

No no, you have a reason to be addled and lame. Plus, I know how truly cool and not lame you are. They really are assholes. I wasn't there, of course, but from what you've said here, I don't see any justification in them firing you. Maybe Takis is just a douche who wouldn't like you, regardless of what you did. In any case, you didn't need the job, and you DID NOT fail. If you made the customers happy and brought their food to them in a timely manner, you did your job, and you did it well. They shouldn't have fired you, especially for having your head down when you weren't even supposed to be working. Seriously, wtf?

P.S. Read my previous post. You still want me to come up to Portland, right? 'Cause I reeeeaaallllly want to come.

Andrew Mills said...

hell, i'll bet you 5 or 6. i've seen you practice that thing for at least 11 minutes straight before.

as to the employment thing -- i've said it before, and i will say it again: if being terminated were actually a reflection of on-the-job performance, then I would have lost a lot more jobs than I have.
you were a good waitress. you will continue to be a good waitress, albeit at another, more worthy dining establisment.

and you've helped me so much since I got out here that doing your dishes hardly registers on the favor scale. what's more, you know that I do it more for me than for you.

all my love.
--andrew

oneifbyland said...

you can feel bummed that you got fired, but really? people just don't do that. your boss is a jerkface. from your blog and from the mandrew has said, you did nothing wrong. go work at some place classy, like applebee's. :)
i'm sure seeing you made the customers smile. (and hey! now you don't have to listen to bitter old ladies rag on your lovely, lovely hair.)
i'm glad the guitar is going well! that makes me so happy, you don't even know. play for me and i'll play for you!
anyway, to reiterate: your boss=mean jerkface.

The Wayward E said...

Thank you guys. =) I feel better.

Anonymous said...

Whether you are a good waitress or not, whether you did something wrong or not(and since you didn't dump a cup of boiling hot coffee in a regular customer's lap, you surely didn't) -- your sense of self worth must have its source in your essential Wayward-ness. It is much too important to leave up to irresponsible strangers.
===
I had a dream last night that I was moonlighting as a night-shift clerk for a nearby school system; I was one of three people they'd hired to work for 3 math teachers-- and I realized (in the dream) that I liked it better than my day job, so much so that I was giving up my sleep in order to work there. I woke up wondering what I would have to do to get a job teaching math. I figure some of this came from having lunch last week with a friend who teaches at a local college whose son teaches math at a local HS. She is thinking about leaving the college to teach biology at the same school her son teaches math at. Envious, I suppose I must have felt.

Remember to let me know those dates, W-O.