Welcome Back

Georgia was partly wonderful and significantly too long. Sorry ma. I fought with my father in the most good-natured way possible--for us--and that's an acomplishment. Of sorts. Hailey actually drove the car with me in it, something I swore years ago would never happen. It was just as terrifying as I had expected, too. Goddamnit. She nearly merged into a cadillac downtown. We saw the aquarium. I have aquarium pictures now. With fish.

More people than fish, really. It makes quite a statement, if you're into that sort of thing.

W and I saw Cat Power at the Aladdin! It was the best show I've ever been to, and the very first one I've seen in Portland. (Probably my 5th? overall.) I told myself that when I got here I would start going to shows, as Portland is a very "go to shows" kind of town. But until a few days ago, nothing had really interested me. I happened to glance through the paper at work and saw that Cat Power was playing, RIGHT DOWN THE STREET FROM MY HOUSE, and I nearly cried because I'm retarded and got the dates wrong. After I'd sorted that out, I went right out and bought the fucking tickets.

It's generally agreed that Cat Power is notoriously bad (read: unpredictable) live. She's either feeling it or she's not, you know? And this was a solo show, so it could have been a real disaster. Well, according to her the first show that she played that night was a complete disaster. But the second was magic.

My favorite Cat Moments:

1. when she told that girl in front with the camera to take pictures of her later...she began that gentle order by asking the girl's name

2. when she asked for a cigarette onstage and took a mini-break to tell stories about traveling, and the traintracks, and the place where I live

3. when she tapped her cigarette ash into her shirtpocket

4. when she sang

5. when she pretended to forget how to play "maybe not"

6. when somebody yelled out "PLAY FREEBIRD!" and she did, beautifully

7. when she reenacted the tape that she and her sister made as children, O-R-E-O OR-E-O! in that charming southern accent

8. when she kicked her feet in time with the music

9. when she snapped her fingers

10. when she sang accapella at the end, and danced her funny little dance, and waved us all goodnight

In other, musical news, W has recovered his ESP. That is a pretty high-falutin' electric gee-tarr, for those of ya'll who ain't in the know. He is now dividing his time between wowing Andrew and trying to teach me Ozzy Ozbourne riffs. Well, sure, he wows me too. But the "Crazy Train" thing is so not okay. I'm having fun with the guitar mom gave me, my uncle's old one. It really has a beautiful sound. And the nylon strings don't hurt my fingers. (Yes, I'm a huge baby.) It's been a long time since I've had a musical instrument around, I'd forgotten how much fun you can have just fiddling. Kinda makes me wish I'd learned more when I was younger. I'm practically senile now.

7 comments:

Andrew Mills said...

I like the new layout alot. So much so that I am temporarily suspending my comment boycott. I like the "About me" "What about them?" Continuity.
Your lover is right, by the way. We're set to have a sort of Indian summer this weekend: it's going back into the 90's.
I'm glad the show was good, and I'm sorry I couldn't come.
All my love.
--Andrew

And the boycott resumes....Now.

The Wayward E said...

No no mills! Please! I really REALLY miss your comments! I'm very sorry! I won't get mad at you again! I promise! I'll appreciate you! JUST PLEASE PLEASE DON'T BOYCOTT ME NOW!!

I've decided to try out that whole "sounding like me" thing. You know, the part where my blog stops being an extension of Estella's (Erin's? wtf is that all about?) and becomes my own. I mean, it probably won't work. She's way cooler than me, I'm almost certain to succumb.

I'm going to need feedback.

The Wayward E said...

And hey, you can see the changes? Because I can't see them. I have to open the template-preview window before I can see them. Do the links all work?

*coughs discreetly*

I edited them myself. =D

Andrew Mills said...

I never thought of your blog as an extension of Estella's, by the way. And I don't think that anyone who either (A) didn't read your earlier blogs, or (B) doesn't read Estella's blog, really would have noticed it.

What I guess I'm trying to say is that, even when you try to sound like Estella, your voice still shines through. But the light it casts looks like your voice trying to emulate Estella's. Which is still cool. It's sort of like when people write stuff and model their style after Hemmingway or Dickens or whomever in order to pay homage, while still perserving their own self in the piece. But I do perfer it, I must say, when you're just writing in your own, innate voice. Your writing style is one of my favorites.

...If any of that makes any sense.

The Wayward E said...

*beams*

Thank you, ManDrew.

And hey, you know that I think your posts are wonderful. How about an update, eh?

Oh, phones on Friday? I NEED CONSTANT ACCESS TO YOUR MOBILE PERSONA.

Anonymous said...

Ooooh, Cat Power. I'm very jealous. If I haven't been to a concert by the time I come up to Portland, can we go to one? Currently, I'm a concert virgin, and that's utterly inexcusable in Athens.

The Wayward E said...

Yes, we'll totally go to a concert. As long as it isn't too indie. ;)