Never Really Got Me

I went in to pick up my check from work today. While the words "you're fired" were never uttered, I think we're all clear that I no longer work there. Especially the manager's pretentious asshat of a son. He's REAL CLEAR.

*beams*

In other news, I blew a whole bunch of money today. On something wonderful. Beware: if you complain about having to eat hamburgers and corn-on-the-cob (without those little prong thingies) at my wedding...I may be forced to play you a song.

Andrew, I know. I am a sad, sad creature.

Actually, the financial blow wasn't that bad. It just means that I've essentially saved NO MONEY this summer. Combined, my checks from Tom's about equal this purchase. So we've established that I SUCK at budgeting. Today, as I viewed my semi-pathetic savings account, I realized that, while I do manage to live within my means, my means need to be bigger. In terms of means, I am constantly trying to talk myself out of installing a horse in our apartment. There just isn't enough space, you know?

My bank certainly finds me interesting to deal with. They've reprimanded me twice for using my savings as a checking account. Making more than six transfers to and from the savings account a month is apparently ILLEGAL. Which means that they get to take my money. So I'm at least a mildly charming bother. My problem is that I want so badly to save successfully, to save extraordinarily well. To save, in fact, more money than I have. So I put nearly everything into the savings account (I can do this online, so the constant switching is perilously easy) at the beginning of the month. And it looks so voluptuous and tasty in there, that money. I feel so austure and zen to have placed it out of my immediate reach. Except that it isn't. The way it eventually works out, I don't really save any money. I just give myself the impression that I am saving, for 1-2 weeks at a time.

The same amount of money has been in my checking account since...well, here's the thing. It's been hovering within the same range for a long time. I make progress and then I slide back. Now I'm at an all-time low. Which really isn't that low. But it isn't enough to pay for a wedding and honeymoon. And since Taylor is gone now, rent has gone up too. Not by a whole lot, but it's significant. I must mentally adjust to having less disposable income now.

*sigh*

I'm going to do better. School is starting soon, and that's when it's easiest for me to save money. I eat at the cafeteria every day, instead of hunting restaurant food. And the library is all set up, so there won't be any more furniture expenses. I really love it in here, by the way. It's so nice.

ALRIGHT. ENOUGH FRETTING.

I've got eight months till the wedding. This is completely possible!

I shall save enough money to buy everyone at the reception AT LEAST two hamburgers. And individual sets of corn prongs! And beer!

Goddamn, this grown-up thing is not all fun and games. And laundry, what the hell is up with that? I mean, IT'S NEVER FUCKING OVER. Am I right? Like, you wash it and two seconds later it's dirty again. Jesus, I thought that I was saving time by never folding it or putting any of it away, but this business has gotten confusing. ALL CLOTHES ON THE FLOOR LOOK THE SAME! Maybe this just means that all my clothes look dirty.

Maybe I should get new clothes.

1 comments:

Andrew Mills said...

I will more than happily bring my own corn nubs to your wedding.
Your wedding's only one day, you know? The other 99.99% of the time when you're not getting married really ought to be your top priority.
More importantly, this way I get to hear you sing more often.
--Andrew