Feels Cooler Now That Nobody's Doing It

Yep, I'm updating. I still hate my job. And I'm getting to that scary point where I can see, just over the horizon, the Path of Least Resistance. Marginally accurate vital signs. Not turning and changing everyone every 2 hours on my shift. Not giving a damn.

On Tuesday I'm going to start carrying a little notebook around with me, so that I can be sure that I've checked EVERY. SINGLE. PATIENT. at least every 2 hours. If I don't keep track and keep checking, I'm liable to get caught up in the whirlwind of other people's needs (specifically, the people who can use their call lights) and forget about the truly unfortunate few. I hate this fucking job, but I absolutely cannot stand the idea of doing it badly.

School is proceeding with reckless abandon, hurtling down that familiar "shit I think I'm falling behind in the readings" road. This road always ends badly. It ends at 3am in a broke-ass Fiat. A Fiat in a frosty, muddy ditch somewhere in Romania (hey, at least it's part of the EU now!) with me, the night before a wave of exams, still vaguely convinced that I can read all 248 chapters of whateverthefuck by 8am the next morning.

I would like to say that this time I'm going to avoid that road. But that would be bullshit. I'm going to proceed on my merry way, and hope that it all turns out alright. Wish me luck.

I've had two exams and a paper due so far, and I have another final this week in my A&P lab. Then next week, both of my political science classes serve up a round of midterms. Hot, steamy midterms. The European Union with a side of fries. Oregon Politics with a hazelnut crust. I'm a little hungry now, actually, despite having consumed about 2 lbs of ice cream (a mixture of Trader Joe's Raspberry Sorbet and Double Rainbow Super Deluxe Chocolate...which is the official ice cream of San Fransisco!) in the past hour.

I'm reading two extracurricular books right now.

The Revolution Will Not Be Microwaved by Sander Ellix Katz
The Position by Meg Wolitzer

I'll update you all on those books as soon as I'm finished with them (which will probably be soon, since they distract me so admirably from the stack of political science books I'm supposed to be plowing through).

I recently watched a very strange netflix, about the Seattle man who died of internal bleeding following his lamentable decision to be fucked in the ass by a horse. The film, in my opinion, spent far too much time focusing on how people who identify themselves as "zoo" (meaning: persons who have sexual love for beasts) really, truly feel a romantic love for animals. That, if you'll pardon the phrase, is a load of horse shit. Not to say that I don't believe that romantic love for animals (horses in particular) could exist, just that I don't care. It isn't an emotional issue for me, I don't wonder why someone would want to have sex with a horse. I'm willing to simply accept that he wanted to, and move on.

What I was interested in, mainly, was the logistics of the accident. Was this the first time that the man had sex with the horse? (It wasn't). How was the horse trained to mount the man? Did they use a breeding pommel? How did the perforated bowel occur? Was the horse being particularly rough, or did something just...slip? What, exactly, could have slipped in such a way?

None of these questions were adequately answered by the film. It was beautifully shot, and slightly hypnotic (mainly a lot of voice-overs from relevant persons to the case, superimposed on rolling Washington farmland). The film was called Zoo. Rent it if you want.

Zoo
Rating: *2 Fats
(The Vitas has been gaining weight steadily, if you can believe it...I blame the cold weather)
--1 Fats simply for being about a man who died from ass-sex with a horse
--The second Fats because it was pretty to watch

*Out of a possible 10

A movie that everyone, EVERYONE, should see is Kontroll. It's about a rag-tag collection of ticket-checkers in the Bucharest subway system, which is a sepulchral and magical place...I won't tell you any more. I'm pretty sure that if I try to write a summary I'll end up butchering the whole thing. Anyway, watch it. Kontroll is wonderful. It is one of my Top 5 Favorite Movies.

Kontroll
Rating: 9 Fats
--Not a perfect 10 only because the soundtrack wasn't very well-developed, and my experience of a film is heavily dependent on its integration of a super-fucking-fantastic soundtrack

I also watched Capote and didn't like it. Perhaps because I don't really like Truman Capote. But something about the film itself just didn't click. Oh well. And Severance, which is pretty funny but nowhere near as good as Shaun of The Dead or Hot Fuzz (both of which are bloody hilarious).

In The Netflix Grab-Bag For Tuesday:
Bug (supposed to be uber-creepy, I'll let you know)
It Was a Wonderful Life (a documentary about divorce and subsequent homelessness that I was actually supposed to watch in class during my Marriage & Intimacy course last quarter but skipped)
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang


4 comments:

Erin said...

Fucking blogger won't fucking let me comment.

Erin said...

Oh, now it lets me comment. Shit. Anyway, I'd had a comment typed and then it ate it. And did it again. When I find the stamina to try again, I will. Either way, I'm jealous that you can watch movies. Next semester will be better.

The Wayward E said...

OHHOLYFUCKINGGODTHANKYOU COMMENTS. Whew. I was starting to think that I'd completely lost touch with reality out here. I miss you! It's starting to rain!

Merrrrde said...

Here, hear! or is it hear hear? I think it just randomly eats comments just to piss us off!

I will watch Bug. Sounds like the sort of sick twisted crap I love. I sometimes wonder still if having been the only one to ever send her valentines on valentines day was enough to overcome her irritation with him for having broken down her front door with an axe the day before. Tough one, that.

We went and saw "Into the Wild". If the kid did half the stuff in real life that he did in the movie, it is no wonder that he thought he could hike off into the Alaskan wilderness with a twenty-pound bag of rice and live to tell the story.
And he might have, if his luck had held out. It has its moments.
A definite must see, if you ever find yourself yearning for the sweet taste of maggot-filled moose meat.