We Always Knew It

So, this may not come as a surprise to anyone, but I'm apparently not a nice person. I just logged on to facebook a few minutes ago and saw that the ex so famously flamed on my previous blog had just listed himself as single again. I wasn't snooping, he was not on my mind, but when that showed up in the facebook feed I investigated. And then I left a snarky comment about how cute it was that he continued to update his shaky relationship status for all the world to see. On his wall. Which I subsequently deleted, but probably not before it got sent to his inbox. And then I deleted my next comment, which was only slightly less pointed. Then I apologized for being a jerk and wrote that I hope he's doing well.

Beauty of the "delete" function aside, just what in the hell is my problem? He doesn't bother me. I just saw the update and had an instantaneous mean thought. And then I basically pinched him, internet-style. I don't want to be cruel. But I really wish that you could just JAB people sometimes, really POKE THE FUCK out of someone, for no reason other than that the action itself is appealing, and not have to suffer any consequences.

He should probably unfriend me. These nasty impulses are exactly why I unfriended him in the first place. But he friended me back. For some reason he thinks that I am a worthwhile person to be friends, albeit e-friends, with. Now, if it were me trying to refriend him, I would be pretty honest with myself and others that I was doing it to spy on him (things like relationship updates) so that I could cackle to myself. But I suppose he isn't like that, or at least he isn't comfortable thinking of himself like that. If he unfriends me now I will feel guilty.

Which is appropriate, true. But not pleasant! Not my preferred method of feeling! My preferred feeling is...ambivalence, I guess. But I don't get to enjoy that one very often. I'm too high-strung.

Anyway, Doug, if you're lurking out there, I'm sorry that I pinched you. Hopefully you didn't even notice. Unfriend me if you must.

I've been having these dreams, these very strange dreams. They take place in scenes from films that I vaguely recognize, or in my parents' houses. I don't know anyone in them, no one seems familiar. They are largely incomprehensible, with no narrative structure that I can discern. When I wake up I have this very strong sensation that there is something that I have forgotten, a thing that had to get done a long time ago and has now reached the point of crisis. It's the sensation that you get when you wake up after your alarm has gone off and you're late for some really important event, except more profound. I know that I am driving W crazy, trying to get him to talk to me late at night, but I feel very vaguely anxious. I am worried that we will forget the wedding rings and fly home without them, or that somehow we won't be able to get our marriage license, or that it'll turn out that we need passports to get into Puerto Rico after all and our honeymoon we be ruined. I am concerned that the house will catch fire.

Last night I was up for hours trying to plan what I would take in the event of a fire. I thought that it was possible that the chairs in the living room were pushed too close to the electric heater, and that the cushions might catch flame. But I didn't get up to move the chairs: I couldn't. I just lay there, trying to think of a way to get all the animals out in one armful, whether to bring the guitars or the external hard drive where all our pictures are stored. The piano would be done for, and we never really enjoyed it. I don't have any printed photographs except the one hanging on the wall and the one on my vanity--in a panic I would surely forget them, and if the external hard drive was lost too then all our pictures would be gone. Once I got the ferret and the cat outside, how would I keep them with me? There would be no way to keep them from getting trampled or lost in the crowd, except to hold them in my arms. They would be frightened, and struggle.

Speaking of the ferret, I think he gave me fleas. My head is itching like crazy. This always happens when I give him a flea bath. Like fleas from a sinking weasel, as they say.

I worry about W riding his bicycle to work every night. What if someone hit him? Just exactly how precarious is this happiness? After agonizing for hours about my imaginary fire evacuation plan, I was only able to go to sleep once I made myself a promise. If I woke up one night and the house was aflame, I would close my eyes. I would lay back on the bed and we would all just stay there together--Vitas and Kasper and the photographs and the guitars and the piano and the computer and the books and gold velvet chair, and me.

5 comments:

Andrew Mills said...

I'm sorry about all of the anxiety you're having.

I'm going to go over the lists you sent me this afternoon.

And for what it's worth, I would prefer that you maybe not honor that promise, should the fire ever actually occur. I mean, the decision is yours to make, and I respect that.

It's just that I'll be awfully lonely when all I've got for a best friend is a handful of crumbly ash and some distressing memories of open-toed shoes worn with formal dresses, is all.

Not that I'm trying to change your mind or anything. I would never do that. Never ever.

Will you tell me what exactly you posted on Froug's wall the next time I see you?

I'm getting really excited, man. Just let me know whatever you need to help you with on Thursday and Friday and D-Day, and I'll be there. I am at your beckoned call.

What time does your flight leave on Saturday? I think I'm going to go tonight and pick out a cheap suitcase for present-transport, too. Goodwill sells used luggage, right? Alright.

If you need to vent about your troubles and stuff, give me a call when you wake up tonight.

All my love.
--Andrew

The Wayward E said...

HEYYY! I've you're going to goodwill I wanna come too! It's shorts weather today, isn't it?

Merrrrde said...

Ach meine kleine Nacht Musik!
I am amazed at your state of Angst. It comes from the inescapable human conviction that somehow we can control our own destinies. The Angst goes away when you realize that there is precisely nothing you can do to escape the inevitable, if it's inevitable. It is the prelude to finding peace of mind, however-- when you accept that, despite your best efforts, there will come serious, heart-rending miseries in your life, and even if you want them to consume you and thereby free you, they won't even accomodate your wishes for that. No. You will be left to gather up the remnants, believing that you cannot survive the pain another day. But you will survive. After a few real jaw-knockers, you will come to see that your soul is very much more resilient than you ever imagined. You will find that life itself, mere existence, merely Being, is in and of itself a fantastic thing, something that is never to be lightly laid aside. And if you really learn to fly, you will discover that at the oddest moments and in the oddest ways, you escape some really yicky experience. Or not. But... its all good.

Dreaming about fire is dreaming about passion, strong emotion -- what matters to you most?

You can't always protect everything you love; you have to just love -- that is the ultimate protection.

Erin said...

I've always thought a fire would be a very liberating occurrence. It's like the universe forcing you to clean house and let go of everything. Which is why I tend to put most of my cash in the bank very shortly after I earn it.

But seriously...there's nothing (besides W, I suppose) that you'd really, really suffer from losing. Sure, there are one-of-a-kind objects in there but if you were to lose them you'd have more room to get more neat stuff. Perhaps neater stuff. Plus, not only would you have a great fire story, you could tell your kids "when your father and I were first living together, I had this amazing paint-by-numbers portrait of Jesus in the living room" and they could imagine how awesome it must have been to be you two when you were young and in love and living life in the bike lane. Things are always better in your imagination, anyway.

That said, I'd totally grab the ferret and the hard drive. They're in the same room. Open the rats cages so they stand a chance, and grab the cold war unicorns on your way out. Wake up Andrew, if he's sleeping on the couch. I'd miss him. I'd tell you to get Vitas, but she's a smart kitty and she'd find her way out before you did.

Everything else will be fine. Sure, it'd suck to lose the stuff you've worked so hard to collect, but there's something to be said for starting over. Clean slate.



Also, not that you need to be told this, but Erin's first rule of travel is: if you're not at home, it's already a great trip. So even if you spend your entire honeymoon having sex in every bathroom in the San Juan Airport, it's still better than sitting at home. And those'd be some damn hard-to-trump bragging rights.

Ps. If you do manage to make it out of bed, you should go to The Arecibo Observatory. It's the largest single-aperture telescope ever built. Visible from space, even. I've wanted to go since freshman year.

The Wayward E said...

Shirey, I adore you. "Living life in the bike lane..."