Sheesh I Was Kidding
So apparently one of the really cute things about Portland is that the urban area wasn't designed to handle much storm water. That's rain, people. Portland can't handle RAIN. I know.
The storm drains either don't get cleaned often enough, or are not appropriately wide/extensive to deal with any rainfall greater than a drizzle. Since we've been having a pretty terrific downpour for the past few days, this hideous technical oversight means that many of the roads into and around the downtown area are under water. Right now there are very upset looking city employees standing knee-deep in brackish puddles on the edge of what were once main thoroughfares, whacking at the clogged drains with sticks and shovels. And it's wet. I cannot begin to describe how incredibly fucking wet it is here right now.
Last night W and I dropped off his brother Sky, who lives downtown right next to the university. On our way home we needed to cross the Ross Island Bridge. Thank god we live on the East side where at least there's less congestion, if not less standing water. At the entrance to the bridge we came upon a very sad sight indeed: a little mazda was stuck in a puddle halfway down the tunnel. Its HOOD was partially submerged. The poor guy was trapped in his car--the water was a foot up the front door and if he'd opened it I'm sure his interior would have become a muddy disaster. BIG FUCKING PUDDLE. There was a policeman there, trying to guide people through the water. I was so proud of The Rav! It just zoomed through! Finally, a use for our pseudo-sport-mini-utility vehicle! BOATING.
I never thought it would come to this, Portland.
In other news, I'm about to call and beg my dad for money. Seems that my finances cannot support BOTH a clean wedding dress and a trip to the dentist. I'm all for giving up the dentist (especially since I've already turned my dress over the Russian Laundry Mafia...seriously, they are), but I think that my parents would be unhappy with me if I did that. God only knows how much they've already spent on my teeth...I told them when I was 7 that I should just get dentures and be done with it. Jesus, my enamel is like swiss cheese! AND I BRUSH. I often floss. You know.
Called Comcast today. They are mailing me a disc, and I may run by one of their payment locations and pick another one up. Apprently those discs are free. Time to stock up! Can't think of what must have happened to the last one...ANYhow, this internet business is well on its way to being officially "cleared up." I hope.
WILLIAM GOT HIS LICENSE!!!
He's been driving like a fiend! Or, actually, like a person who drives very well! LEGALLY! It's pretty amazing. Last night I fell asleep, and instead of shaking me awake to drive him to work at 3am, he just gave me a kiss and took off! After which I couldn't fall back asleep because he didn't take his cellphone and I kept worrying that the car would break down and he'd be stranded...
*sigh*
4 comments:
Whew, the horror..
http://jestersrap.blogspot.com/
Whew, what an astounding night...
We can sleep now knowing our country is safer from acts of republican terrorism.
I will email you a puppy, a water proof puppy...
By the by, please stop by OregonDistrict.com and help some of my good friends get a nice site off the ground. And stop by the house of the unholy, (thats me) and say hello!
Ashley had a great idea for our meal. It's a really cool tapas restaurant in ATL, and I think we'd all have a great time. Let me know if W is set on Indian. It doesn't matter either way, to me. I'm just happy to have food.
Um, update please and/or call me.
Post a Comment