Updating Is For Suckers

So, we went to look at the house today with my dad and the contractor. Lo, grout between the tiles! Lo, central heating! The appliances are arriving tomorrow (I think) to be installed--washer and dryer are already there and look nice--and we're moving in on Friday. It turned out that W and I actually really like the contractor, so the whole thing took on a decidedly less depressing spin. Erin, I am going to call you tomorrow and officially ask, but if you read this before I get the chance, are you potentially available on Thursday or Friday to help us move? I'll buy you an IceDream. There is, no kidding, a Chik-fil-A right down the street from my house. It's wonderful. Also, a Sam's Club and a 24-hour Wal-Mart Superstore. I'm openly anti-walmart, but I am a pathetic creature of convenience and I also have no money. So there you have it.

We haven't heard anything about jobs yet, but today I finally sent away my application for out-of-state CNA licensure, so hopefully I'll have my license by new years (cross your fingers for me). In the meantime, I'll keep looking.

My father has voiced concerns about the unacceptably high tackiness level among my proposed furnishings. He objects to my couch (yeah, okay, I get that), and my rug (which I think is lovely), and my floor plan. Why do we need to set up a year-round guest bedroom when we can easily borrow a twin bed from my mom and set it up in a few hours? If we can get a twin bed, and keep a nice air mattress around, and we have a large and comfortable couch, I imagine that we can arrange suitable temporary quarters for any person too inebriated/overwhelmed by the awesomeness of chez Rousse to drive home. And then my dad says, "but where will I stay when I sleep over?" And we're all laughing, like, haha isn't it charming, but inside I am a weeping puddle of dispair.

I need a drink.

3 comments:

Andrew Mills said...

24-hour Wal-Marts are awesome. I know they're evil and everything, but there's something immensely soothing about being alone in the store, browsing all that merchandise at 1 in the morning. I used to do that all the time in Athens. Just convince myself that I needed something so that I could drive over there and compare blenders for 45 minutes without ever actually buying one. It got me to stop feeling desperate for a little bit. I feel like this is probably why a lot of people buy things.

I'm glad you're finally getting moved in. How warm is it there right now?

This is going to piss you off, but I think Beuregard would be kind of adorable even when he's vomiting on someone's feet.

Oh, and finally, who are you not wanting to read your blog?

The Wayward E said...

Oh. My dad, of course. He occasionally checks. And with all the complaining I plan to do, it doesn't pay to have too broad a readership.

said...

Seriously, despite any anti-Walmart sentiments one may have, when you have no money it's the place to go. Unfortunately. Yay for having a house that works! How did the move go? Was he actually serious about where he'd sleep? You need to stop that while you still can. And speaking of drinks, would you want to meet up sometime to have a couple? I miss you, dude. :)