So Yeah, Now I'm Totally Into CSI

But not Miami. That show is jacked, yo.

W and I went to visit our lonely, so-freaking-close to finished house. We were going to pull the spare key out from under the *supersecret* and just let ourselves in. You know, like we lived there or something. But no key!

And then we were looking around the garage, going dude, wtf, and I noticed something...strange. There appeared to be blood everywhere. Drops and splatters covered the floor and steps.

Oh, so now they've decided to paint everything RED on top of the PUMPKIN ORANGE. I'm sure that will be a HUGE IMPROVEMENT.

But, that's a bit messy, isn't it? To just splash paint all over the place and then...track drips of it all through the house? Like...a crime victim?

And so I turned to my husband, who knows best in all things.

E: Dude, I think that's blood on the floor.
W: No.
E: Seriously. It's all over the hardwoods inside, too. There's a trail leading from the back of the house to out here.
W: *on his hands and knees, scraping at the CRIME SCENE with a paint tool* No way, dude, this is definitely paint.

AH! But it wasn't. When I called my father to complain about the lack of key when one had been explicitly promised, and hey, wtf with all the hellishly melodramatic blood-red paint everywhere, he called the contractor. Who, apparently, was at that moment in the emergency room having his finger stitched back on. He's had two surgeries already to reattach tendons. Which I suspect won't ultimately be very successful, because the very first thing that the contractor did when he got out of the ER was to drive over to our house UNBIDDEN to beat his gnarled up finger against the oven that that just been delivered. Under the guise of removing it from his truck and installing it. We told him that he should go home and concentrate on re-growing his finger, but he was having none of it. "Doesn't hurt a bit! They numbed me up good!" He cheerfully replied, thumping his bandage.

So things have stalled a bit, but clearly we're all still very dedicated to FINISHING THIS GODDAMN HOUSE. Finger or no!

Seriously, I felt a bit lightheaded watching him shove that oven. He let W help him move it into the house, but he wouldn't here of letting W and I handle the thing by ourselves. I drew the line, though, when he used his dirty, paint-spattered exacto-knife to trim off some of his bandages. I was like, no, stop that. You are insane. He apparently thought it was cute, future-nurse fussing when I took his knife away.

7 comments:

Andrew Mills said...

Maybe y'all should see if you can find an apartment to sublet on Craig's List or something?

Or see if Erin's dad has a spare house lying around? I wish my dad hadn't sold his Lake house. It's like a 25 minute drive to downtown G-ville from there. (Though it's not really fair to call it a "lake" house now. It's more of a "fertile basin" house.)

In any case, I wish you best of luck, and hopefully we can go get drunk sometime next weekend.

--Andrew

The Wayward E said...

We definitely will get drunk! At my house!

We moved all of our furniture (bed, couch, tables, chairs) and belongings (minus the clothes we were wearing and our exercise equipment) into the house last Friday. So we're basically moved in (still need a few things from my dad's house), and there are appliances. We're just not sleeping there yet. But by God, come christmas, we will be.

I'm excited to see you! And that fertile basin thing, man, you aren't kiddin'.

said...

Jesus, E. I don't think I would've held my shit together quite as well as you and W upon walking into a blood-spattered garage after having discovered there was no key. It's nice to know, though, that he's so determined to get you moved in. Seems like a rare thing in contractors.

oneifbyland said...

i think if i saw all that blood i might not even go in. we have to learn from horror movies! they're for education, not entertainment! :)
no, but seriously, so glad you're almost in. also, would kill for a chikfila sandwich. very very jealous of the one down your road!

Andrew Mills said...

P.S. I'm about 100 pages into Bonfire of the Vanities, and it's excellent so far. It reminds me a little bit of Jonathan Franzen, actually.

It also really makes me want to be in New York in the 80s.

And Ashley is totally not kidding about that horror movie thing. We must learn from the mistakes of hyper-oblivious fictional characters. We had this discussion at a bar last night, and it was awesome exccept for the fact that we were SANS EMILY. Suck.

--Andrew

The Wayward E said...

Damn I miss you guys.

The Wayward E said...

Also, yeah, Bonfire of the Vanities is 100% worth reading. They referenced it in the New York Times yesterday, as a matter of fact. Which I thought was a nice touch.