So The Dog's A Punk

I never realized it before, but this dog totally does look like some kind of slovenly marine mammal. And as soon as I get my camera to FUCKING TURN ON GODDAMMIT, I'll show ya'll the picture that I've got of him beached here on the couch. Snoring.

The camera may be exercising its right to suck, but this new computer is working out nicely. Except for the part where I have to use Vista.

I seriously don't trust this Vista business. I mean, whyyyyy? The new graphics look cool. No question. But why did they have to fuck with everything so much? Are they trying to force me to buy more RAM than I need, just so that I can run this beautifully ruinous OS? Transparency is neat, visible videos/pages/etc. when you hover over closed pages on the task bar are neat. I'm sure there's a whole bunch of other neat stuff on here that I haven't even discovered yet. But call me lame and old, I just don't see the utility of it. I mean, what is all this crap for?

W and I have been planning to buy a new computer for a while, and it turned out that we could get a nice new vaio for way less than we thought, so we just went ahead and spent our little nest egg this evening. And hey, it has all of its keys! The screen is gorgeous! It can sit on my lap without charring my thighs!

But. The OS looks like Microsoft's hot, bitchy model/actress cousin who lives in Miami mated with her iphone. This thing is all buttons and attitude.

I seriously had to remove like, 9 billion moving graphics from the desktop, and it still won't let me put my file folders on that side. Vista has commandeered the entire right side of my screen for highly-efficient-time-saving-how-the-fuck-do-you-make-it-stop thingies.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't have Vista, nor do I ever plan to have Vista. I'm not a huge fan of Macs, but it's virtually irrefutable that they're the better computers (and their OSs). I'm probably in need of a new computer now, as my current one simultaneously crushes my legs and chars my legs to death if I even think about putting it on my lap. Oh yeah. It's 17 lbs.

Even though Macs are now better (I think), I'm reticent about getting a new computer. I have Windows XP on this hunk of crap, and that's as complicated as I like my computers to be. Cool graphics and thingies are cool and all, but when they don't help and instead get in the way, they must go.

We should invent a computer that weighs nothing, produces slightly chilled air, and has an OS that yells at you if you start to do something too complicated. It could work.

Anonymous said...

Oh my god, I just read your comments on Andrew's blog, and your dog really does look like Winston Churchill with less testosterone! Creepy.

Erin said...

I'm totally pro-mac, for the record. And anti-vista. You want to fuck with your head? Try office 2007. It has features that I like, but an interface that makes me want to strangle a stranger.

You can close that thing on the right side of the thing all together. I think I actually managed to uninstall it, but I'm not sure I know how I did.

Anyway, congrats on the new laptop. And the dog--he's cute looking. Also, keep an eye out for the February edition of Paste magazine. There's a song by the Whigs on the CD. We totally saw them once, remember? It pleases me that they're still around.

L said...

macs are awesome. have you seen the new tiny mac laptop? :D ( http://www.apple.com/ -- it's on their homepage right now)