As Yet Untitled

To see the pictures as diagrams of a life before them—
these are useful items, essential to our survival in the universal sense
Our survival in Memoriam

I am putting together a map for our someday-children
so that they can trace the climbing patterns in my wedding dress,
know the color of the ribbons that hung from the flowers I carried,
the way that we stood on the grassy bank, looking at each other
They will want to see us in that impossibly young daylight,
in what happiness and certainty preceded them,
and the conviction of our abandoned selves should give them a sense
of how complicated it all was and wasn’t at the time

They will need this architecture
to understand the structure of what we wanted to give
after the sentiment has gone.

I look at these framed photographs as artifacts
that I would have liked to have had when I was young,
the remains of my parents lives from a time when they believed—
they must have believed too, at one time.

--Ellen Rousse


* This is the first thing that I've written in a while and it's very rough. But tell me what you think.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

There once was a white album with pictures like that it it, but it has oddly de-materialized, or located itself elsewhere.

Those pictures, though, make it appear as though it was the start to a promising future, but they too serious, too stiff, too formal an aspect to them, if you look closely. We spent that future fencing-- a parry, a thrust, a quick jab straight into the heart.

We didn't know who we were or how we were supposed to be and the distance between his folks' Southern roots and my folks' Western roots were just too far apart, or we were just too stubborn to let anything go. Don't know.
The pictures from the next one are so unprofessional and chaotic, but key is that we're all laughing and the smiles are deep and from the heart, like the smiles in your pictures.

oneifbyland said...

i really enjoyed this, especially the architecture image. you rock.

Anonymous said...

It's just really beautiful. I'm certainly no critic, but it feels so heartfelt and meaningful. I liked it a lot.