Twenty-Three. 2. 3. Sheesh.
It's a very lovely Georgia day outside, if you can ignore the screaming redneck neighbors and their evil beagle/hellhound. I'm almost 90% sure that the horrible sounds I hear coming over their fence all day, every day, are produced by the beagle that I occasionally spot playing in the yard. But I'm not willing to rule out the possibility that the source of said ungodly noise is not, in fact, a giant monster that lives under the back porch. The point is, it's warm and sunny out. The cats are fighting for spots on the livingroom windowsill. Poor little cat prisoners, under permanent house arrest.
Thank you all for the kind birthday thoughts. I am indeed 23. I'm trying not to think about it too much. There's a very exciting...something...taking place next Thursday, in honor of this birthday, so I'm trying to focus on that. Still unemployed, hating Gainesville more every day. W and I went to MA last week to visit grandparents and inlaws, and this week is spring break, so I haven't really started looking for another job yet. Unsurprisingly, I'm procrastinating.
We've basically decided to move out of this house as soon as we've saved up enough money (which is a very good reason for me to stop dithering about and get a damn job already). So much for quiet domesticity in Gainesville. W keeps pantomining shooting himself in the head every time I turn my back, and more importantly, my father has decided that I'm his least favorite person in the world (excluding my mother of course, that's really her title). He's acting like a real jerk, and it's only a matter of time before I'll have to tell him to go fuck himself and then we'll be homeless. Since we've decided against chickens for the moment (Dad's Least Favorite Person Ever swears that she'll ritually slaughter them and eat them the minute I leave the state), I don't have any good arguments for staying. We need to live somewhere with sidewalks--some asshole in a fucking truck almost splattered myself and the Beaure on our walk the other night. I basically had to yank the dog by his collar into the ditch to save him, so now he's acting all traumatized and shit.
What do ya'll think: Atlanta or Athens? There are good arguments for either place, but I haven't tried to rent an apartment in this state, so I could use a little guidance.
In other news, I'm very excited to see Ashley and Andrew soon! I miss you guys!
8 comments:
Just FYI, I've already started looking for apartments in both cities on Craigslist for you. Moving is so exciting. Until you have to do the actual moving part, I mean.
If you're not doing anything else, do you want to maybe go check out a few places together while I'm home? Just to get a feel for the market, and how far your money will go? It might be fun. Plus which there were a few historic apartment buildings in Athens I always wanted to see the inside of.
Or we could just get drunk and make fun of your dog. Either options sounds pretty swell to me.
You should check out East Atlanta, too. That was kind of the up-and-comming Alberta street-type area when I left. It may be more expensive now, I don't know. But it's on Marta (I almost just typed "MAX" just then. Whoops.)
I hope your Thursday surprise is amazing. You deserve some serious happiness.
--Andrew
That sounds great. I do indeed love apartment-hunting...it's my favorite part of being a pseudo-adult!
emily! i have been an absent commenter for far too long. so, um, hiii. :) i say atlanta so i can visit when i get back. but i'd come visit you in athens, too.
I'm probably not the best person to listen to for this kind of advice, but Athens is nice b/c the cost of living is so low. However, you have the 30,000+ asshole college students to deal with most of the year. Atlanta, on the other hand, seems much more inviting to me, but I know I'd never be able to afford a place there on my own. Whichever city you choose, let me know! And good luck! :)
i second east atlanta! i've had some friends who lived there and it is not nearly as sketchy as you'd think! plus the highway is close by so you could visit all your chieckens? yes. it might be easier to find work there, too, because you wouldn't be competing with those 30k students.
be careful on streets! i like both you and the beaure. don't let anything happen!
we're very excited to see you too!
ps. i'm working on it! i've been taking pictures of classy for you, but then you see my messy house in the background, so it's taking forever because i have to keep cleaning the house. which it needs, but, so.... yea.
Dude! Check this shit. I forget how cheap Atlanta is sometimes.
If you're not living here by the time I get home, I will be sorely dissapointed.
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/apa/1076184442.html
Aha! Finally the perfect apartment for us in midtown!! All we have to do is...kill the Beaure? =P
Seriously, though, that apartment looks awesome. Hopefully there are more like it around. You're the Master of Apartment Hunting, dude. Help me find something that allows dogs!
Post a Comment