Back To The Grind

Just how far away from Gainesville is Waycross, anyway? I think I might try to avoid the place, what with the children of the corn there and all.

That said, they did display a surprising amount of forethought and planning skill. Which is pretty neat, coming from 3rd graders. They'll do well in jail, I expect. Jails are always looking for forward-thinking sociopaths with long careers.

I would have done well in jail myself.

I'm back in classes this week. Psychopharmacology, Medical Psychology, Psychology of Personality, and of course A&P. Also a little one credit, 18,000 hour course on sexual assault. Woo. I almost had a seizure in my Personality class today--the prof. lectured for the entire hour on the Myers-Briggs test without once saying that it was ridiculous and invalid. Picture me alternately kicking my legs furiously and reading a cool new book I picked up on prions. Which are apparently pronounced prEE-ons. Who knew. I think pry-ons sounds better, personally. Prions are misfolded proteins that are responsible for Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy, Crutzfeldt-Jakob Disease, Fatal Familial Insomnia (the subject of my book), and Kuru (the subject of another great book). They essentially create holes in the brain, unique to each disorder. Alzheimer's Disease, which I deal with every day at work, is caused by another collection of deformed protein plaques (not prions) that create peculiar patters of brain tissue damage. That's why a diagnosis of Alzheimer's can be most conclusively established by an autopsy. Sorry, you guys are probably not interested in this. But if you ever decide that you are, I've got some good books to loan you.

2 comments:

oneifbyland said...

i didn't realize that was in waycross! man! ...you know, those kindergardeners in rome were pretty shifty, come to think of it...

oh my goodness, i loooved psychopharmacology. i've got a really good textbook still if you want to steal it. we can totally talk about brain damage any day. maybe even neuroreceptors and what personality classes ought to be like, too?

i think i've my personalities textbook, too, if you want it. it wasn't as good as the other, but the bookstore wouldn't buy it back because they were changing the curriculum.

oneifbyland said...

just as a total tangent, here is the russian judge judy! except a guy! and less shouting! but still kind of awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QMm6ksFcTs&feature=user

i like this one because the plaintiff looks exactly like my great-grandpa (who fought in the same war! weird...).