(This Time, For Serious)

The Bridge

I loved this movie, but I know exactly why most people wouldn't. It tells, or attempts to tell, an incredibly intricate and controversial story. The people who jump are only one part of this story. Their friends and family, devastated, relieved, and resigned, are another part. And then there are the people who saw them jump, the unsuspecting passersby who happened to witness, on one beautiful day in San Francisco, the end of another human being's life.

The woman who saw Gene, a tall man in his thirties with long black hair and a black leather jacket (who from a distance looks strikingly like my husband did 5 years ago), was listening to a song she liked on the radio as she drove across the bridge. When she looked out at the bay something caught her eye: a man was standing up on the railing. As she watched, uncertain and bewildered, he leaned backwards and disappeared.

A young family on vacation were the last people to see Lisa alive. They all remembered, even the kindergarten-aged son, the way that she had looked at them. They didn't know what she was going to do: when she climbed over the railing and just dove out into thin air, their lives changed.

All of this is recorded by the film crew's cameras. Gene's hair swirling around him as he paces, Lisa's determined plunge. The film didn't present any opinions about mental health systems in the United States, or the need for a fence on the bridge to make suicides there more difficult. All of that is beside the point. What is sad is that these people lived lives that were so unhappy, not that they chose to die or that someone else chose to film it. It seems wrong to me to begrudge someone an end to their suffering. As Lisa's sister said at one point in the film "I always thought that I was a stronger person than she was, but I could never have had the guts to do that."

No one jumps off the Golden Gate Bridge on a whim.

Lisa was a paranoid schizophrenic whose health was deteriorating. Gene had been clinically depressed essentially his whole life, and had talked of suicide often. His mother had made him promise to keep living for her, for the investment that she had made in him. When she refused treatment for her cancer and died, Gene made a few last-ditch efforts to find love. Then he jumped.

Gene's story is particularly well-told. He emerges as the central character in the film: a man who desperately needed help and couldn't get it. He kept trying until he couldn't try anymore. No fence on the bridge would have improved his life--seeking to prolong his agony without professional help and support would have been cruel. If we as a society don't feel that we can help people like Gene, then we shouldn't refuse them the right to a death of their own choosing.

What if Vitas became ill and was diagnosed with cancer? If we can't afford or aren't willing to pay for the treatment that could make her well again, then the right thing for us to do is to let her go. It's wrong to let her suffer just because it makes us feel bad to acknowledge that we can't help. Or won't help. I don't know how much could have been done for Lisa. One young man, a manic depressive who gratefully survived his jump, could have been helped by more community support for the mentally ill. He needed a stranger to notice what was wrong, to pay attention and feel just a little bit responsible for a man crying in plain view over the railing of a bridge. None of his friends knew how things could have turned out differently for Gene.

The cinematography of this film was truly amazing, the soundtrack (up until the very last song) was wonderful, and the interviews were conducted very thoughtfully. Although the premise of the film is undeniably morbid, the end result is incredibly sensitive and sad.

The Golden Gate Bridge is a beautiful place to die. At the end of my life if I am allowed to choose how I'll go, I want to jump off the bridge on a clear day at the end of summer. Take a last look around at the green and sparkling blue of the bay, watch the kite-surfers with their multi-colored sails skimming over the water and flying above it like birds. I want to lean out with the wind whipping through my hair and fall backwards, looking up at the sky.

13 comments:

oneifbyland said...

i really, really want to see this movie now.

and when andrew pisses you off, you can call me and we'll gossip about him. he likes it, i swear. :)

The Wayward E said...

Dear Sea,

Yah. You are so right about that. He is a glutton for punishment. We should poke him frequently, or more frequently. =) Seriously, I do have things to tell you. I will try to call tomorrow after class. W and I have some things to ship, pictures and such, so depending on how our trip to the UPS store goes I'll probably call either before or after dinner. I'm setting an alarm on my phone. I do, after all, luv u. =D

And you definitely must, MUST see this film. I really want to know what you think about it.

Andrew Mills said...

HOLY CRAP I have an AndrewBulletin for you:

Guess what I realized last night!

If you move to Kansas for nursing school, and Ashley ends up at the University of Missouri for grad school where she can get in-state, and Erin really does decide to go to the University of Iowa...you guys will have formed a triangle of AWESOME in the heartland.

And of course I will be terribly jealous of y'all being in such close proximity, but STILL. Triangle of Awesome. And GRAIN.

I *know*.

--Andrew

Andrew Mills said...

Also, and this is for serious, you could totally afford to rent a house in Kansas with more than enough room for a dog. And goats. And a horse or two. You could probably afford to buy a house, even, without your dad's help.

Ok. I'll stop now. I swear.

--Andrew

Anonymous said...

Y'all will understand why there isn't anything out there but cows and corn one of these days.

Anonymous said...

Also, my name isn't anonymous, so don't freak out-- I just can't remember what my looser name and past word combo are. Hence also no updates on the blog.

The Wayward E said...

Hmmm...so, you are not anonymous. But who, in fact, are you? =)

Anonymous said...

I'm coming to visit in October. For rllay. =)

The Wayward E said...

HOLY CRAP!!! THAT IS AWESOME! Dude, you need to buy your ticket right now. I'll help you look up fairs if you want. If you buy it now it won't be too expensive. Let's get cracking!

Anonymous said...

Yes, please! I'm thinking about flying standby, but I'd prefer not to if I can find a cheap-enough fare. Something in the $250-$300 price range would be perfect. We have Fall Break October 25-28 (Thursday-Sunday), but my last class on Wednesdays is over at 1:10, so I could totally get a flight out around 5:00 that day, which would give me three full days and part of Sunday with you, which is perfect. Let's do it! :)

Andrew Mills said...

Update? Please?

Merrrrde said...

Yes, if you're not going to call people, the LEAST you could do is update... And exactly Hoo am I? Would it really make a difference if you knew?

Anonymous said...

Geez Ma. Calm down. I'll call, I'll update. Just as soon as I have 2 spare minutes and/or internet access in my disaster-zone of a home. Love you.